Friday, July 18, 2008

What's in a name?

For those of you who may stumble upon my humble blog, you may ask yourself why I picked Johnny Thumbs as the name for my blog. It's actually a two part story.

First, I have extraordinary thumbs, sometimes referred to as spoon thumbs or hitch-hiker thumbs. I feel that they were genetically created to participate in my favorite pass-time, video games. Back in the day I could actually push all six buttons at the same time on the SNES, which my friends thought was pretty cool.

Second, while I was contemplating creating this blog, I asked one of my friends from work, Tony Chard, what I could name this blog. He recommended several things, such as John John the Leprechaun, the 14 year-old adult, and Doogie Howser's Evil Twin. None of those struck a chord with me. I wanted a cool nickname to go with it. Tony was given a somewhat cool nickname by our site coordinator at work. She calls him Tony Bag-o-doughnuts, kind of giving him the gangster feel. That's when Tony recommended Johnny Thumbs, which I thought was really cool.
So, there you go. And as proof, I've got a nice picture below.







2 comments:

Gayla said...

Never new you had hitch-hiker thumbs. Funny the things you learn about family thru blogging. Very cool name, it too has a gangster feel.

Sterling said...

my big toes look like thumbs... maybe we can arrange a swap. Although you might miss out on your mad controller skills and I might not be able to pick things up with my feet or hitch hike without my hands.